Passenger Required To Pay PHP1,000 Due To Airline Booking Constraint

The incident raised concerns about fairness, especially for travelers who may not have extra cash at the airport.

Year Of The Horse Gallops Into The Philippines

Traditional rituals and colorful events signaled the arrival of the Year of the Horse.

Bacolod Tourist Arrivals Up 4.8 Percent, PHP6.5 Billion Tourism Receipts In 2025

Tourism performance improved with a rise in arrivals and receipts.

Basilan’s PHP5.3 Million Solar Power Project Gets Green Light

The installation is expected to strengthen energy stability in the government complex.

DOT: Philippine Government Prioritizing Safety Of South Korean Tourists

The Department of Tourism has made it clear that the safety of South Korean tourists is a key agenda item.

DOT: Philippine Government Prioritizing Safety Of South Korean Tourists

2256
2256

How do you feel about this story?

Like
Love
Haha
Wow
Sad
Angry

The Philippine government, through the Department of Tourism (DOT), on Wednesday assured that the safety of South Korean tourists is a priority.

Tourism Secretary Christina Frasco made the statement following calls by the South Korean side to strengthen protection for its nationals amid the reported rise of violent crime rates against South Koreans residing or visiting the country.

“This is something that we take with great seriousness in a sense that we have called on our fellow government agencies to really ensure that we come together to prioritize tourist safety for South Koreans and all tourists coming into the Philippines,” she said in an interview in Makati City.

The DOT, she said, is in close coordination with the South Korean government, specifically Korean Ambassador to the Philippines Lee Sang-hwa to “retain confidence among South Koreans” visiting the country.

Frasco said the DOT is working with relevant law enforcement agencies and asked the Philippine National Police to “add police personnel” and ensure high police visibility in destinations where South Koreans frequent.

The DOT has so far trained over 8,000 police on the basic principles of tourist safety, a program it already expanded for barangay personnel in far-flung destinations.

The country earlier saw a decline in South Korean arrivals, with only 395,059 visitors recorded in the first quarter of the year compared to 458,619 in 2024.

Frasco said this drop is attributable to a number of factors that are beyond the country’s control, including the weakened Korean won resulting in the slowdown of the South Korean outbound travel market.

Beyond ensuring safety, the official said Manila is “fortifying” promotional activities in South Korea to continue attracting its nationals in the country.

South Korea remains the Philippines’ top source market for international visitors. (PNA)